Into the Nevernight

Into the Nevernight - Anne de Graaf I tend to avoid books labeled "Christian fiction"; far too often the story gets lost in the preaching. However, "Into the Nevernight" showed up in a bag of books from a friend whose recommendations I trust, and it sounded interesting; so I gave it a shot.I'm very glad I did.Anne de Graaf takes her readers on a journey through the world of African politics, conflict diamonds, child soldiers and refugee camps. Seen through the eyes of a kidnapped American family (the father, Owen, is a US State Department negotiator who has gone to Mozambique to broker an end to war), the reader learns about the strife in the various war-torn countries on the continent.Owen, his wife Miriam, and son Martin are not flawless human beings (as is far too often the case with protagonists in Christian fiction), and Yury Falin is not a two-dimensional beast as the antagonist. Owen and his family struggle with estrangements due to his work, and Yury finds himself falling in love with Miriam after he abducts her because he admires her intelligence and quiet strength.Some of the most poignant chapters are in the voice of the "nameless one" - a child soldier who does not remember his real name, but changes it whenever he learns something new about himself.This is a book that I think anyone could pick up, enjoy and be moved by the characters. Highly recommended.