Wired to Care: How Companies Prosper When They Create Widespread Empathy

Wired to Care: How Companies Prosper When They Create Widespread Empathy - Dev Patnaik, Peter Mortensen "Wired to Care" is one of the best business books I have read to date. Dev Patnaik explains why humans are hard-wired, as it were, to have empathy (including an explanation of the neurobiology of the limbic system) and then explains how it applies to business.From stories about a young woman disguising herself as an older person (including prosthesis that impeded her movement) to better understand design issues for kitchen tools and public facilities as they impact the elderly, Patniak's deliberate two weeks in a wheelchair to look at issues from the perspective of a disabled person, and more, the book explains clearly why companies that understand their customers' perspective and thus empathize with them tend to have greater success even during economic downturns.In my experience, all business people at some time or other fall into the trap of looking at bottom lines and policies instead of the people impacted by the work of their company. Reading this book is a great start toward reversing that trend. In an experience-based economy such as that we now inhabit, empathy and other seemingly unrelated skills are vital to business success.(Review based on Advance Reader Copy.)