Religion Gone Bad: The Hidden Dangers of the Christian Right

Religion Gone Bad: The Hidden Dangers of the Christian Right - Mel White I think this may be one of the most important books I have ever read.Rev. Mel White, PhD, is a former evangelical pastor who has witnessed the fundamentalist takeover of his faith -- and clearly explains the differences between the two. As an author who has ghostwritten for Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson and D. James Kennedy, White is intimately acquainted with the fundamentalists' plans for a theocracy in the United States.Having participated in various on-line debate forums with fundamentalists over the years, I agree with White on two points in particular: it's easy to be dismissive of what seems to be obvious crackpottery, but these people are deadly serious. They have laid out a plan to dissolve religious freedom (under the guise of protecting their own) for anyone who does not believe as they do, and to implement a Christian version of sharia law in the US and, eventually, the world.A large part of this agenda, which is no shock to those against Prop 8 and similar anti-equality measures, is the criminalization of homosexuality. Fundamentalist Scott Lively, of "Defending the Family," is presently in Uganda presenting the parliament with a bill that does just that.White rights intelligently about how the fundamentalist movement has coopted the bible and even the name Christianity such that many believers refuse to use the word anymore, and many have left the church because they have been materially and psychologically harmed.I recommend this book to *anyone* who values their religious and political freedoms and, hence, the separation of church and state as established in the US Constitution.